Thursday, July 1, 2010

Garlic Scape Pesto,

CSA Day! We got an amazing bag of produce from our farm today. I was very happy to see my 'whimsical' garlic scapes. I didn't use all of them last time so I was determined to make use of all of them this week. In our little info. sheet, it mentioned that you could throw them in the food processor with some olive oil to put on pizza. Inspired, I stopped at the store for an italian cheese blend and some Roma tomatoes. I admit that I was tempted to pick up some pizza crust mix but practicality prevailed: I know how to make pizza dough from scratch and it would probably take just as long.


I checked the farm website to see if they had any more specific instructions for the pesto. I wasn't going to but then remember some.... disappointing prior attempts at making pesto (Ugh...it was a long time before I could even LOOK at pesto after that) so I checked their website and only had to make one substitution.


Garlic Scape Pesto
6-7 Garlic Scapes
a little less than 1 cup olive oil
1 cup Italian Cheese Blend


*Original recipe was a cup of olive oil. I struggled with that. I was a little over 3/4 cup. I just couldn't put a whole cup in there. It was just wrong.
I was also supposed to use just shredded Parmesan but I had bought a blend. I thought it was probably a little richer than it would have been with Parmesan.


Spread on your pizza dough (the pizza dough is a top secret family recipe, seriously, I'm not telling, but just so you know, it's AMAZING).
Cover with Italian Cheese Blend and sliced tomato. Bake at 425 for 15-20 minute.


I served it with a fresh salad courtesy of CSA and my homemade balsamic vinaigrette.

2 comments:

  1. Badger Girl, what exactly is a garlic "scape?" Is it similar to a bulb of garlic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent question! We actually had some discussion on this the other night which prompted me to do some research. Garlic scape are the green top parts of the garlic bulb. They are not, contrary to popular belief, the same as ramps.
    Do I know what those are? Not really but I know they are not garlic scapes. :)

    ReplyDelete